Saturday, 17 December 2011

A Walk in the Park

Every day at lunch time, I come home from work and take Jodie to the local park. There are two big fields as well as a few nooks and crannies to wander round. At lunch time I just walk round the perimeter of one of the fields. Weekends are lovely, I go in around 9.00 and have a leisurely stroll often bumping into the same people. Then I go again mid afternoon. Weekends are usually a bit of an adventure. Something interesting always happens.

This morning, I got there about 9.15 and stepped out of the car as my foot slipped and an elderly lady fell flat on her back on the icy pavement. Jodie and I went quickly over, a man parked up in car got out, and a bloke across the road came running over. Between the three of us, we got her to her feet. Luckily she was unhurt. "Where are you going?" the man from the car asked. "Just to the precinct," she replied. "I'll give you a lift," he said and she got into the back and the second man got in the front. I hadn't even realised they were together. It struck me how my Mum always said never to get in a car with strangers, but I expect it was okay as none of them were under 65.

Jodie poo'ed as soon as she got on the grass. She must have been desperate as she never does it there. I picked it up in one of the little black plastic sacks I carry. Funny how you get used to doing that. It's a bit like changing your child's nappy. You'd hate to do anyone else's, but you and yours are okay.

A man and his shitzu were standing across the way watching. His dog who was very interested in Jodie's presence. I bid him good morning and he said it back. I decided to keep to the grass it as I'd already stepped on an ice rink and had to stand still for a moment afraid I was going to slip. We walked in the nooks and crannies, over the white hard grass. There were a few other dogs and owners stomping round, but none I knew. Jodie didn't mind where we went as she sniffed and wee'd her way round every tree and clump of leaves.

As I came back round after depositing the black bag in the poo bin, I squeezed through a hedge as an older lady with an older King Charles spaniel came through. "What's it like over there, is it safe?" she asked, "Everywhere is like a mill pond." "Oh I know, that's I'm stomping around here, yes it's fine." "That's good," she said and off she went.

I've only been a dog owner 11 months and I love that I belonged to an elite club. Other dog owners talk to me and I speak to them as if I know them. I would never do that with a stranger as we passed each other on the street. Pass a dog owner, and the least we'll say is hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment